Thursday, March 27, 2008

Workout Wednesday: Jumping Rope

Workout Wednesday: Jumping Rope

I forgot to post this yesterday so I’m going to post it today rather than wait until next Wednesday. I already have other plans for next Wednesday.

Jumping rope is a great fat burner. Even in a short amount of time, jumping rope expends a large amount of caloric burn – more than walking! You get an upper and lower body workout. To me, it’s like two workouts in one.

Those of you that know me know that I used to be on a double dutch team back in my elementary years. It was so much fun. I would love to get into it again by teaching younger kids how to double dutch. In the meantime, I’ll jump my single rope in hopes of burning many, many calories. If you are too clumsy to jump using a jump rope, you could always fake it or purchase a JumpSnap.

Below is a 15 minute workout routine. I like to get at least 30 minutes in so I double the time or repeat the routine.
15-minute Jump Rope Workout
Skip Time Variation Recovery Time
30 sec Double Jump 45 sec
45 sec Side-to-side 45 sec
60 sec Running In Place 60 sec
90 sec Alternate Jump 45 sec
2 min Double Jump 60 sec
90 sec Alternate Jump 45 sec
60 sec High Step 30 sec
45 sec Side-to-side 30 sec
30 sec Running In Place Cool down

Variations
Double Jump = both feet take off and land together
Side-to-side = alternate landing from left to right
Running in Place = jog in place motion but a little faster and more intensity
Alternate Jump = alternate feet in a skipping motion
High Step = jog like with high knees

No comments: