Friday, March 28, 2008

Frugal Friday - Free DVD rentals

It's Frugal Friday over at Crystal's blog.

With the price of everything going up, the last thing I want to deal with is paying for movie rentals (either from the video store or pay per view) or even late fees because we forget to return them. For a little over a year now, we have been renting movies from our library. Our library has a website that you can use to request items and renew items. I go out to the website about once a week to request movies that we would like to borrower (we request books too). Then they send me an email when they are ready to be picked up. I can also head to the library to check out the selection they have on hand. New movies have a 7 day rental policy and the older movies have 21 days (plenty of time to watch it again and again). The late fee is only $.10 a day for each item that is late. With drop off locations close to home and work, I usually never have to pay for late fees but if I do it's a lot cheaper than the video store.



Check with your local library; they might have DVD rentals as well and it will save you money on rental fees, membership fees, and even late fees.

Ours also has music CDs. I usually borrower them before purchasing a CD. If I don't like more than half the songs, I end up not buying the CD.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

You're lucky on the movie late fees at the library on movies - our library (and where we used to live, as well) charges $1/day late fee on movies, CD's, audio books, etc. I make *sure* to get those back on time - or renew them online!

CC said...

I totally do this too! The problem is that I have to wait months and months for the popular ones! I've been waiting 4 months so far for LAST season's Gilmore Girls (our tv didn't get the station) and still am #50 on the list :(

Craft Tea Lady said...

Sadly, my library doesn't ALLOW
movies. Only teaching videos. :(


www.xanga.com/crafttealady