Monday, April 28, 2008

Planning Ahead for a "Healthier" Outing

Do you plan ahead when you know that you are going to be away from your home? I do. I pack my food for work everyday - breakfast, snacks and lunch. I also keep snacks at work. The snacks are usually less than 200 calories (1 or 2 WW points). I'd rather have too much than not enough "healthy" snacks. The last thing I want to do is make a run for the vending machine.

With the boys playing soccer now, I make sure I take along my "snack-on-the-go" bag . It's got a few 1 or 2 WW point items in it. For example, on Saturday I wasn't sure how long we would be gone so I took my snack bag. It has the Weight Watcher Chocolate Chip cookies in it. I had those rather than go inside the YMCA to grab something out of the vending machine or get so hungry that when I walked in the house I was grabbing whatever was in sight (which probably would have been full of sugar and not healthy at all). Along with the "snacks-on-the-go" bag, I also grabbed a few of my frozen bottles of water. These will melt over time and I will be able to have cold water to drink. It's easier and quicker than filling up a cooler with ice and loading up drinks. If I don't drink them, I can return them to the freezer or just put them in the 'fridge when I get home.

Besides the extra snacks and frozen water, I also always have a pair of tennis shoes and socks in my van. This allows me to take advantage of those unexpected opportunities to exercise. They've come in handy quite a bit lately and it keeps me from using that as an excuse not to exercise.

The last thing I do is check out menus before getting to the restaurant. I like to know what I am going to get before I go that way I am not tempted to order something more fattening. Or something that the waitress/waiter talks up. For me, that's what normally happens.

What are some things that you do to make your outing "healthier"?

3 comments:

Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net said...

I always have good intentions but sometimes fall short!! I try to carry Kashi or Special K bars with me. And, something for the kiddos too - so they don't cause me to go broke while we're out :-)

I do try really hard, if I'm not going to eat breakfast, to have a small item to eat so I'm not tempted to go through the drive through while out shopping. I really like to prepare my own lunches (on most days) and know exactly how many calories I'm getting.

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

I try to do the same thing (when I actually think that far in advance). I don't usually have tennis shoes wherever go. That is a good tip.

mom_of2boys said...

Andrea-
Yes, I definitely include a few snacks for the kids. I know they could break the bank!

Cassie-
I have two pairs of tennis shoes so I keep the older pair in the back of my van. There have been days that I've wore then back into the house and forgot them.