Monday, April 7, 2008

Could I walk a little more?

The answer to that question is “YES!” Even though I have been walking or trying to walk at least 3 miles a day on my treadmill, I could still use a little more walking. Here are a few things that I have been doing…

Parking further out in the parking lotwhether it’s at work (which I normally park probably 15 steps from the door) or at the store

Take small walks around the office throughout the daywe try to walk on your two breaks that we are allowed but I also get up at least once an hour to walk about for a couple minutes. I also send all my print jobs to the other side of the building so I get more walking in.

Walk during your lunch hourthis kind of goes with the last one but this would probably be a longer walk. I plan to start doing this when the weather is nice. I hate to walk by myself but I put the weight on by myself so I’ll have to work to get it off by myself.

Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalatorI’ll let everyone else take the elevator or escalator and Ill take the longer approach to getting upstairs.

Make several trips to unload that carIt seems like every morning we load the van up with everything from the house to go to work and daycare. Then I have to take it all back into the house when we get home. So I do it in several trips.

I walk when I am on the phone at homenothing major, just up and down the hallway, in and out of bedrooms…

I can’t wait to mow the lawn it will be all walking since we have such a small yard. We’re looking for some land and I told my fiancé I would push mow the yard even if we had 10 acres. (If we ever get any acreage, I’ll let you where my last statement still stands or not.)

Walk to the store when you are only going after a few small itemsI’ve done this with the kids when I wanted an extra Sunday paper or they want ice cream. We walk to UDF.

Other ways to get more walking in that I don’t do are:

Walk your dogdon’t have a dog to walk

Walk your children to school instead of drivingI’m at work when my kid’s go to school otherwise, I would do this one (at least in when the weather permitted)

Take laundry (or other items) upstairs in small trips versus everything at oncewe don’t have stairs in our house otherwise, I would consider it.

Do you have any other ideas? What do you do to get more walking in?

2 comments:

Lorie said...

These are great ideas! i see you do WW. Do you have e-tools? Was asking because you can wear a pedometer all day and they calculate the activity points for you at the end of the day, just put the number in.
Thanks for visiting my blog! I like this post!

mom_of2boys said...

No I thought about registering with WW online. I'm actually follow WW with the stuff that I got a while back. I have the "out dated" points system that I am following.

That's pretty cool that it will calculate the activity points for you.

Thanks for sharing.