Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Walking 10,000 Steps A Day

I've heard a lot of talk over the years about walking 10,000 steps a day can help you lose weight and good for your health (improved fitness). What's the distance of 10,000 steps? Approximately 5 miles, depends on your stride. I was amazed since I had never considered all the walking I do on a daily basis as being calories burned. ( I don't know what I was thinking...)

I've purchased a pedometer to track my steps each day. I'm not sure how many steps I take on a daily basis so for the next 3 days I am going to track them, average them, and set a goal for March. I've already thought of ways to increase my daily steps.

~Use the stairs instead of the elevator
~Park further out in the parking lot (my kids won't like this one)
~Walk around the house while on the phone
~Get outside and walk! (if the weather ever changes...I'm not walking in the frigid temperatures)
~Walk to the corner store, if I need something small
~Walk on both 10 minute breaks at work
~Walk the path at lunch, at least twice a week (when the weather warms up)

Can you think of any others? I don't have a dog otherwise I'd be nice and take it for walk.

No comments: