Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Backing Up Your Computer Files

I had a friend that lost all her little boy's pictures that she had saved to her computer. The only ones that she was able to find were those saved on MySpace and picture websites (not sure where she had uploaded them to). So, that brings me to this post.

Save and save often!!

1. Make your own backup.
You can pick up a mini hard drive for pretty cheap. They can usually store anywhere from 128MB to 120GB (might even be bigger than that).

2. Store a backup on the web.
This isn't may favorite option but it really depends on the security of the website you are using. On i-drive, you can get 2GB for free, Carbonite has a yearly fee of $49.95 (they do offer a free trial), Moxy has a monthly fee of $4.95.

3. Your internet service provider
Check with your internet provider. Verizon gives you 10MB of personal web space.

4. Copy files to CD or DVD.
This is probably the most time consuming and expensive.

I usually back my files up on my own. As I type this email, I wonder if that's the best way being as things can be destroyed by fire or flood.

No comments: