Thursday, August 14, 2008

Laid Off - Final Day!

Well, I'm glad this day has finally come but I am also sad.

The good -
I was at the point that I was very unhappy, almost miserable, with my job. I didn't really care for my co-workers cussing like sailors, belching like truckers, or sexual comments. So, I'm relieved that all that is behind me now. I felt more like a robot or a prisoner in a jail cell.

The bad -
Good friends! I will truly miss some of the people that I had become good friends with over the past years or months. Some of them had been there for me since the birth of my first son...the unexpectedly showed up in my hospital room the day after my delivery (it was great!).

Other than that, I can't say I will miss anything...or at least not until the end of the year when I am no longer receiving a paycheck!

I have applied at a company in the same area that I used to work (not the same company) but I haven't heard anything yet. It's been 10 days - should I send them a letter? Unfortunately, I do not know anyone that works for this employer to be able to put in a good word for me or to personally talk to the hiring manager. I wish I did. That's about the only job that I have found in the area. I live in the Dayton, OH area. There are no jobs...it's a dying city (according to Forbes). While some think this is untrue, I had talked to a recruiter earlier in the week. Their company had 5 jobs in Dayton, 60 in Columbus OH, and 80 in Cincinnati OH. Now tell me that Dayton, OH isn't a dying city!

Well, if you are local and know of any analyst jobs (preferably financial analyst - would like stay in the role that I am familiar with), let me know.

No comments: